Schönbrunn castle grounds – the most beautiful spots
Schönbrunn is not just famous for its splendid imperial palace. There are many more attractions to explore during a visit of the spacious castle grounds! In addition to countless fountains and gardens, you should definitely explore the following highlights on your visit to Schönbrunn Palace:
- Gloriette: The Gloriette in the palace gardens is a popular vantage point with splendid views of the palace and Vienna.
- Palm House: Opened in 1882, the Palm House is the last and largest of its kind in Europe.
- Orangery: Built in 1754, the orangery is one of the two largest orangeries in Europe, the other being at Versailles.
- Zoo: Schönbrunn Zoo is the world’s oldest continuously existing zoo. Opened in 1752, it used to be an imperial menagerie before it was opened to the general public in 1778.
- U4: Only a stone’s throw from Schönbrunn, you can find one of Vienna’s most legendary event locations. Situated right beside the underground line of the same name, the venue was popular with regulars such as legendary Austrian singer Falco and international stars like Kurt Cobain, who used to play at the U4 with his band Nirvana before their big breakthrough. With its great events and nearby restaurants and shops in the posh district of Hietzing, the U4 is well worth a visit.